One of the great things about a blog is that you get to have a “do-over” any time you need one. (When you publish a book, it’s not that simple.) If you have seen this recipe before, but have had only limited success with it, try it again, following these directions. We hope this helps. If not, please feel free to post a comment about any problems you might have had, and we will do our very best to help you.
- 2 cups raw almonds
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 scoops of Organic Whey Protein, flavor of your choice
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp. of KAL brand stevia, or equivalent, to taste (This is the sweetening power equivalent of approximately 1/2 cup of sugar). Taste, and adjust to your liking.
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (No sugar – check the label)
- 8 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and sweetened to taste with stevia and cinnamon (optional)
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, Organic Whey Protein, almond butter and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat.
- Remove coconut oil from stove; stir stevia and vanilla into oil.
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste.
- Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish. (A parchment paper liner helps when you want to remove the bars from the dish.)
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate, stirring in stevia and cinnamon.
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars, and serve.
You can add other ingredients to this recipe e.g. raw nutes and raw nut butters such as macademia, and just process them in. For instance, some people really love to blitz in some melted (unsweetened, of course) chocolate. And personally, I prefer the bars “naked,” without the chocolate topping, so I simply do not complete steps 8 through 10.