Fried fish does not have to be unhealthy. Crusting the fish in coconut flour and pan-frying it in coconut oil will give you a similar finish to your typical fish fry. This Fish Fry dinner is packed with protein and healthy fats, and is perfect for a weeknight meal. With very minor changes, you can enjoy fish that your children won’t feed to the cat.
- 1 to 2 pounds of wild caught fresh or frozen fish of your choice, such as: Flounder, Grouper, Red Snapper, Amberjack or White fish of all varieties. Note: Wild caught frozen fish, thawed, is perfectly acceptable, and very affordable.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of coconut flour
- Salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon pepper – choose your favorite seasonings
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- When the rest of your dinner is prepared and your table is set, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet. (This process takes very little time, but requires your full attention.)
- Lightly season your fish, and then dust or dredge in the coconut flour.
- Sauté the fish in coconut oil over medium high heat for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your fish, until the coating is golden brown and the fish is cooked, and flakes to the touch.
- Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve immediately.