Crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle, a good coconut macaroon is an irresistible treat- and these light cookies are a tribute to the recipe I found in the “Maximized Living Nutrition Plan” book. Unlike the store bought alternative, these paleo macaroons are clean and packed with egg white protein and healthy fat. Just three simple ingredients and about a half an hour of your time will give you a delicious batch of cookies your friends and family will love. Enjoy.
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1 package or 2 ½ cups of Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Stevia to Sweeten (to taste)
- Beat egg whites until peaks form. (This can be done with a wisk or an electric hand mixer. I have done it with a wisk, and, although it was a tiny bit of a workout, it is possible – and somewhat satisfying.) Add stevia to sweeten, and beat again to combine. Taste, and add more stevia if necessary.
- At this point, if you want to add a teaspoon of pure vanilla, feel free. Gently stir in unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Drop by teaspoons-full onto parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 350º for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on parchment paper in the refrigerator until firm.
- Once cooled, these cookies can be dipped into melted, stevia-sweetened chocolate if you prefer. (I like the toasted coconut appearance and taste without the chocolate.)