I know. The idea of Brussels Sprouts used to make me less than enthusiastic, too. To be blunt, I didn’t like them at all. I had heard from so many people that the traditional method of preparation, boiling, was my problem. Well, they were right. This recipe is one that we all look forward to when I prepare it for Sunday Dinner. Chillis, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice make these beautiful little cabbages pop!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, rinsed, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 minced fresh red chilli
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher or Sea Salt, Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated (raw if possible, or imported Italian) Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Brussels sprouts in a cast iron frying pan (or a roasting pan, but a cast iron frying pan works beautifully for this recipe).
- Toss in the red chilli and garlic.
- Sprinkle Brussels sprouts with lemon juice.
- Toss with oil so that the sprouts are well coated.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and a few turns of black pepper.
- Put Brussels sprouts in oven on top rack, cook for 20 minutes, then stir so that the sprouts get coated with the oil in the pan.
- Cook for another 10 minutes. Then sprinkle with Parmesan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- The sprouts should be nicely browned, some of the outside leaves crunchy, the interior should be cooked through.