High in fiber, nutritious, crunchy and totally dip-worthy, these savory flax crackers are great on their own or paired with hummus (Classic, Zucchini, Zesty Walnut, or Sundried Tomato) or guacamole! The three colours of the seeds add to the appeal, and combination of spices makes these treats deliciously flavourful and impossible to pass up. You will never want to buy boxed crackers again!
- 1 cup unhulled sesame seeds (to soak – can also use 1/2 white seeds and 1/2 black sesame seeds)
- 3 cups brown flax seeds (grind 2 of the 3 cups)
- 1 cup sunflower (or golden flax seeds) not ground
- 2 tbsps cumin (whole, not ground)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 lemon (include peel if lemon is organic)
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 big handfuls of greens (kale/spinach)
- 1 packed cup parsley
- 1 cup purple carrots (optional)
- Soak sesame seeds while preparing other ingredients.
- Place flax seeds, cumin, curry and salt in a large bowl (glass, ceramic or metal) and stir.
- Blend the remaining ingredients except sesame seeds and carrots, then stir into the mixture in the bowl. Drain and rinse the soaked sesame seeds, then stir into the dough. Stir in the grated carrots (optional). Allow to sit for at least fifteen minutes so the flax seeds make the mixture gelatinous.
- Stir dough and spread 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick on parchment, plastic or teflex dehydrator sheets. Using a spatula, score the dough into the size crackers you want. Dehydrate at 105 degrees.
Extra Prep Time: Dehydrate eight to ten hours.
Quantity: 4 sheets (12″ x 12″)